Customer Support Engineer (SW)
Job Location Windsor, UK
Position Type Full-time/ Regular
Trilliant® empowers the energy industry with the only purpose-built communications platform that enables utilities and cities to securely and reliably deploy any application – on one powerful network. With the most field-proven, globally compliant solution in the market, Trilliant empowers you by connecting the world of things™. We empower our employees to deliver on our commitment to our customers by encouraging passion, accountability, confidence, and energy for excellence. We invest in our people and provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career, and our business.
The Customer Support Engineer (SW) is a direct resource to respond to customer technical inquiries and problems via a web based issue management system, email and telephone calls. The CSE must have the ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to both clients and internal personnel while working under pressure and within time constraints. The CSE documents client calls in the Issue Management system; provides troubleshooting leading to issue isolation; identifies replication steps; ensures client expectations are properly managed and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. The Support Analyst is a Tier-2 support resource and is generally able to resolve customer cases related to application usage, reporting, configuration and best practices. Additionally the CSE will have primary responsibility for specific daily, weekly and monthly reporting and analytical functions under contractual SLA requirement utilizing Trilliant’s propriety application solutions such as Unity Suite and SerViewCom. Works closely with Engineering and Quality Assurance organizations to help understand, isolate and resolve problems. CSE’s replicate customer reported problems in laboratory or test environments to develop solutions and escalate un-resolvable problems to the appropriate Engineering team for further investigation and resolution. The CSE has a global operational perspective with detailed product knowledge and can reach across the organization in support of the installed base.
- Provide direct support for UK customers as well as afterhours support for US & Canadian customers
- Coach and assist customers in utilization of Tier-1 support tools (i.e. FootPrints/TstBench/ProCare)
- Dailey review and update of the issue management system for assigned cases
- Provides Solution support across customer production sites that are in compliance with support level agreements (SLA’s) including hardware, software and firmware with a primary focus on Unity Suite (Unity Suite/SVC/NEMS) in the production environment
- Investigate and resolve issues that could be associated with solution functionally such as application errors, database or data errors, message flow, firmware, network connectivity and server performance
- Works with internal engineering / development and other teams to identify/isolate root cause and support implementation of solutions that have not been solved through problem replication or known solutions.
- CSE’s may also validate the fix on internal environments prior to releasing to client. Typically working closely with customer IT / Support and Database teams to apply the patch / upgrade or change to the pre-production environment or development servers to customer acceptance
- Creates BKM’s, Knowledge Base articles and Trouble Shooting documents from case solutions, generates Process Flow diagrams, Review/edit/maintain solutions commissioning handover documents
- Interface with Product Management, Project groups and Development teams to promote continuous improvement of Trilliant solutions in all country locations
- Assist in system configuration and support application deployment (including occasional after-hours support during major deployments)
- Responsible for data extractions and reporting using SQL queries and other reporting tools
- Evaluate, interpret and compile pertinent data in a clear and concise manner for customer or management review
- Provides advice to client on application and database tuning/indexing/maintenance
- Able to identify issues that require elevation through defined Tier Support structure
- Able to understand client business processes and data needs to meet customer SLAs
- Monitor and track overall AMI and SLA performance metrics and make recommendations to improve performance
- Generate metrics relating to SLA, product performance and RMA’s, recommend changes to product management engineering to improve solution and to reduce costs
- Host meetings with Internal teams as required to keep all stake holders informed of high profile / impact customer issues as recorded in the issue management system
- Maintain the customer support labs and network environments used to replicate and troubleshoot customer issues
Education & Certification
- University Degree in Computer Science, Computer Programming, Computer and Information Technology, Software Engineering or related field
- Industry certifications such as: MCP, MSSE, MSCA CCNP, CCNA desired
- Related work experience will also be considered
- Work experience as a Systems Analyst, Support Analyst, Customer Support Analyst or Customer Support Engineer
- Java/J2SE development and experience in a UNIX/LINUX environment is a plus
- Commercial web application development using Spring for IOC and Hibernate
- Development experience using a container like Tomcat, WebLogic, or WebSphere
- IT work experience as a systems engineer
- Strong web application experience including installation, configuration and troubleshooting skills with knowledge of Spring and Hibernate
- Should have prior experience supporting applications on Linux/Unix (ability to use Linux commands, services and utilities), OS installation is a plus.- in a VMware setting
- Advanced knowledge of Oracle and SQL Server relational database installation, configuration, operation and troubleshooting
- Strong in Apache web server installation and configuration
- Data acquisition application knowledge would be an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- Desired knowledge of Tomcat or WebLogic or WebSphere, SQL, scripting and Java/J2SE in a Linux OS environment
- Research, prototype, and implement troubleshooting utilities.
- Proficient in Structured Query Language (SQL), PL/SQL Block in Oracle 9i or higher.
- Understanding fundamentals of network architecture and TCP/IP communication
- Experience with protocols such as SSH, Telnet, FTP, TCP/IP, DHCP, NTP and Remote connection software
- Knowledgeable in software development lifecycle, software QA processes, IT change management and issue and problem management
- Knowledgeable of ITIL Service Delivery Framework including: Problem and Issue Management, Issue Classification and Prioritization and Root Cause Analysis
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills including use of tools, techniques and best practices
- Experience with automation programs such as QTP, Wintask or similar desired
- Strong experience in Microsoft Office applications such as Excel (data analysis), Word, Visio, MS Project and PowerPoint.
- Utilities industry experience and understanding of Smart Grid / AMI and Exposure to IEEE 802.11x, 802.15x and Mesh networks are nice to have
To apply for this position, please send your resume to email@example.com. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.