Trilliant® empowers the energy industry with the only purpose-built communications platform that enables utilities and cities to securely and reliably deploy any application – on one powerful network. With the most field-proven, globally compliant solution in the market, Trilliant empowers you by connecting the world of things™. We empower our employees to deliver on our commitment to our customers by encouraging passion, accountability, confidence, and energy for excellence. We invest in our people and provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career, and our business.
Trilliant Networks Inc., an award-winning, global provider of smart grid and smart metering communication platforms, is looking for a senior corporate counsel to be resident at its Cary, North Carolina headquarters. Trilliant is experiencing strong international growth and requires a lawyer who is smart, emotionally intelligent and able to:
- Take and manage risk
- Partner with and listen to colleagues
- Advise based on sound business judgment
- Dive into new areas of law and business
- Get the job done with too little time and too few resources
- Manage rapidly changing priorities (which could look like chaos to some) and ask for help when needed
. . . all without talking or writing “like a lawyer.”
These qualities are at least as important to the hiring process as are specific areas of expertise or years of experience; work experience outside of the legal profession may be of significant importance. Salary and job title will be commensurate with experience.
This position offers broad professional scope for the experienced generalist or for an attorney looking to develop expanded skills. The ability to work independently is a must but there will also be plenty of opportunities to work directly with more senior inside and outside counsel and, most importantly, with Trilliant’s experts in technology, business and product development, finance and human resources.
The successful candidate will have experience in some of the following areas, and – importantly -- curiosity/willingness to learn about all.
- Drafting and negotiating (usually in a team) complex, multiyear project agreements including IP licensing (inbound and outbound), professional services and sales of hardware
- International negotiations requiring the ability to work in different cultural and legal settings and to manage counsel engaged to provide expertise outside of the U.S.
- Open source licensing and compliance
- Procurement contracts
- Litigation -- developing and directing strategy with outside counsel
- Compliance (including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act diligence); policy drafting, training and implementation; and investigations
- Advising management
- Corporate governance, including corporate secretarial functions
- Employment law matters
- J.D. or equivalent from an ABA accredited law school
- Admission to the Bar in North Carolina or another jurisdiction with reciprocity for practice in NC.
- At least five (5) years, at least some of which in a law firm, in one or more of the practice areas listed above
- International experience is a plus.
- Three professional references (at least two relating to candidate’s legal experience)