Quality Engineering: Test Analyst
Location Cary (Raleigh-Durham, NC)
Position Type Full Time/Regular
Trilliant® empowers the energy industry with the only purpose-built communications platform that enables utilities and cities to securely and reliably deploy any application – on one powerful network. With the most field-proven, globally compliant solution in the market, Trilliant empowers you by connecting the world of things™. We empower our employees to deliver on our commitment to our customers by encouraging passion, accountability, confidence, and energy for excellence. We invest in our people and provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career, and our business.
Our Quality Engineering (QE) team is looking for a QE-Test Analyst in the Product Development organization. The role requires a dynamic agile engineering mindset, patience and persistence to solve complex problems, ability to get things done quickly but thoughtfully, and strong engineering skills.
The testing function within QE works closely with product development and provides verification and validation on Trilliant products, solutions and services to ensure a high-quality customer experience, to protect and grow the Trilliant brand and to reduce the cost of support. In contrast to traditional QA organizations, our QE-Testing function operates as an engineering discipline within the overall engineering and networks organization with the charter to design, develop and execute tests with a continuous focus on automation.
While the QE-Testing function supports developers as they write unit tests, the primary focus for
QE-Testing is on test validation and customer delivery readiness across software, firmware and hardware, covering functional and non-functional characteristics of products and solutions. The scope for QE-Testing is E2E customer scenarios and includes Functional, Contract/SLA, Performance and Security leading to providing assurance on readiness for customer use.
- Apply agile engineering best practices to analyze customer usage scenarios, focus on test design and support the quality engineering group’s commitment to driving continuous quality
- Develop tests and support development of products and solutions using automation, test-driven development, continuous integration and other comparable practices to support iterative development and incremental delivery
- In an Agile and DevOps environment, you move between diverse tasks with cooperation and persistence, helping to bring out the best in those around you
- Build your tests day-to-day like a start-up – collaboratively, incrementally and iteratively – but with the security and resources of roadmaps, plans and tools
- Collaborate in a deeply cross functional way with developers, architects, integration specialists and support engineers. Roll up your sleeves and put your heads together to brainstorm requirements for feature tests, end-to-end tests and ideate solutions for thorny issues
- Release to pre-production (and potentially even production) early and often – we believe in working through validated marketable (deployable) increments
- Get to know your customers’ usage scenarios for products and solutions and support the process of providing assurance to the product manager and system integration teams
- Test and learn – You are empowered to identify problems and improvement opportunities, formulate hypotheses, and experiment with solutions
- Work with a talented, passionate, mission-driven and energized team who values your input and your individuality.
Education & Certification
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or equivalent required; Masters desired Employment
- ISTQB or comparable certification desired
- Experience: 3 to 5 years
- 3+ years of experience in designing, executing and improving product and solution focused automated tests in a DevOps centric continuous integration / continuous delivery (CI/CD) tooling and automation infrastructure
- End to end solution testing in a lab environment (both device and software)
- Backend testing (database and server-side)
- Experience in web services automation using Java, REST API tool, XML/HTTPS
- Experience with Junit, with JAXB, ActiveMQ, Hibernate, Maven, and SQL
- Experience in testing non-functional characteristics covering security, usability, load, performance and availability
- Experience using Zephyr, Jira, Confluence, Crucible, Concordion, BDD/ Cucumber or other comparable tools
- Ability to learn quickly and balance multiple testing activities across product lines
- Experience with some or all the following CI/CD tooling: – Ansible, Sauce Labs, Selenium, Git, Docker, Nexus, Jenkins, Urbancode
- Energy and passion to learn about emerging technologies and find opportunities to apply them on the job
- Experience in a multi-platform environment, including cloud technology
- Strong technical aptitude and ability to logically analyze and creatively solve complex issues both collaboratively and independently
- Demonstrated understanding of industry standards, technologies, methodologies and best practices
- Experience with applying Lean principles, Agile practices and working in a DevOps environment
- Strong communication skills accompanied by effective collaboration skills
- Background and experience in networks, telecommunication or device integration (hardware-firmware-software) is highly desired but not required
- Experience with wireless technologies (mesh, cellular, and network management) is desired.