Quality Engineering: Test Manager
Location: Cary, NC
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Degree in computer science, engineering or related field preferred. Master’s degree is preferred but not mandatory
Employment Experience: 6 to 8 years in a comparable role
Certifications: CSM, SAFe Agilist, ISTQB, PMP or comparable certification desired
FLSA Status: Exempt
Trilliant® empowers the energy industry with the only purpose-built communications platform that enables utilities and cities to securely and reliably deploy any application – on one powerful network. With the most field-proven, globally compliant solution in the market, Trilliant empowers you by connecting the world of things™. We empower our employees to deliver on our commitment to our customers by encouraging passion, accountability, confidence, and energy for excellence. We invest in our people and provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career, and our business.
Our Quality Engineering (QE) team is looking for a QE-Test Manager in the Product Development organization. The role requires a dynamic agile engineering mindset, patience and persistence to solve complex problems, ability to get things done quickly but thoughtfully, and strong engineering skills.
The testing function within QE works closely with product development and provides verification and validation on Trilliant products, solutions and services to ensure a high-quality customer experience, to protect and grow the Trilliant brand and to reduce the cost of support. In contrast to traditional QA organizations, our QE-Testing function operates as an engineering discipline within the overall engineering and networks organization with the charter to design, develop and execute tests with a continuous focus on automation.
While the QE-Testing function supports developers as they write unit tests, the primary focus for QE-Testing is on test validation and customer delivery readiness across software, firmware and
hardware, covering functional and non-functional characteristics of products and solutions. The scope for QE-Testing is E2E customer scenarios and includes Functional, Contract/SLA, Performance and Security leading to providing assurance on readiness for customer use.
The QE-Test Manager will work closely with peer Test Managers and Test Leads (in software, firmware and hardware) and Dev Managers, Integration Specialists, Developers, and Architects under the guidance of VP, Quality to define and own technical direction and testing strategy for product and
solution testing. This individual is required to demonstrate sound technical leadership, excellent relationship and customer facing skills.
The QE-Test Manager will play a vital role in designing, enhancing and implementing comprehensive test strategies that adequately integrate considerations for software, firmware and hardware and partner integrations. S/he will think strategically when selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. S/he will excel in the areas of automation, integration, scalability, cost optimization and continuous improvement. The QE-Test Manager will be adept at influencing change/improvement in the organization through technical prowess, leadership skills and relationship skills. S/he will be responsible to instill standards and processes that ensure high confidence and provide assurance of the quality of products and solutions released.
What you’ll get to do
- Apply agile engineering best practices to analyze customer usage scenarios, focus on test design and support the quality engineering group’s commitment to driving continuous quality
- Develop tests and support development of products and solutions using automation, test-driven development, continuous integration and other comparable practices to iterative development and incremental delivery
- In an Agile and DevOps environment, you move between diverse tasks with cooperation and persistence, helping to bring out the best in those around you
- Build your tests day-to-day like a start-up – collaboratively, incrementally and iteratively – but with the security and resources of roadmaps, plans and tools
- Collaborate in a deeply cross functional way with developers, designers, product manager and support Roll up your sleeves and put your heads together to brainstorm requirements for feature tests, end-to-end tests and resolve thorny issues
- Release to pre-production (and potentially even production) early and often – we believe in working through validated marketable (deployable) increments
- Get to know your customers’ usage scenarios for products and solutions and support the process of providing assurance to the product manager and system integration teams
- Test and learn – You are empowered to identify problems and improvement opportunities, formulate hypotheses, and experiment with solutions
- Work with a talented, passionate, mission-driven and energized team who values your input and your
Who we’re looking for
- 5+ years preferred work experience with relevant technologies and with designing, implementing and measuring a comprehensive testing strategy for products and integrated (software, firmware, hardware/devices) solutions
- Tools and processes for Functional, Load, Performance and Security testing within a agile delivery model
- Integrating test automation in a continuous quality approach
- Strong technical leadership and ability to command respect at all levels of the organization
- Desired technical skills:
- Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, OS X, iOS, Android
- Databases: NoSQL/Mongo
- Platform virtualization: VMware, AWS
- Experience with some or all of the following CI/CD tooling:
- Ansible, Sauce Labs, Selenium, Git, Docker, Nexus, Jenkins, Urbancode
- Experience using Zephyr, Jira, Confluence, Crucible, Concordion, BDD/ Cucumber or other comparable tools
- 5+ years of experience in developing strategies and executing product and solution focused automated tests in a continuous integration / continuous delivery (CI/CD) tooling and automation infrastructure
- Experience in a multi-platform environment, including cloud technology.
- Ability to learn quickly and manage concurrent testing engagements on internal and customer- facing programs
- Energy and passion to learn about emerging technologies and find opportunities to apply them on the job
- Ability to identify issues, support and provide real time solutions for them
- Demonstrated understanding of industry standards, technologies, methodologies and best practices
- Experience with applying Lean principles, Agile practices and working in a DevOps environment
- Strong communication skills accompanied by effective influencing and collaboration skills
- Excellent communication and relationship skills, especially the ability to articulate
- technical topics to both technical and non-technical staff;
- product issues/concerns with team, peers, managers, and vendors/ partners
- Background and experience in networks, telecommunication or device integration (hardware- firmware-software) is highly desired but not required
- Experience with wireless technologies (mesh, cellular, and network management) is
- Highly competitive compensation
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans, matching 401(k)
- Life Balance
- Extensive Training Opportunities
To apply for this position, please send your resume to email@example.com. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.