Our UnitySuite platform is a secure management platform that acts as a control pane for all device interactions. It provides scalable management of multiple smart grid communications technologies with unified business process integration to other utility systems. Capable of supporting millions of endpoints across multiple device vendors, types, models, firmware versions, protocols, and communications methods, this platform enables you to operate and control all your Smart Grid communications – meters, in-home devices, distribution devices – in a single, unified dashboard.
UnitySuite® Smart Energy Access Layer (SEAL) integrates disparate IT systems and processes for smart metering and smart grid, enabling operational systems access to smart energy data and grid device activity. Our dynamic Smart Energy Access Layer enables energy and utility companies to combine new and regulated processes with other utilities and business such as telecommunications companies, IT integrators and third-party developers.
UnitySuite® Metering manages meter data and operations to enable advanced metering infrastructure (AMI). Featuring operating system platform flexibility, our metering management solution includes account information, meter reads, and meter status. It allows operators to schedule tasks including; regular meter read collections, on demand reads, disconnect operation, firmware management and settings configuration.
View comprehensive device details that include: Device ID, Type, Model, Commission Status, Firmware Version, GPS location. Information is presented in Tabular form and visualized on a Map. Additional information can be drilled into and filtered as needed.
View and schedule tasks, by Device or Group, such as Mass Firmware Upgrades, Demand Reset, Generate Key Set, Get Meter Reading.
View complete event and alarm details, alarm status and alarm definitions. Filter by Device ID, close alarms and change alarm severity in addition to easily creating new alarms on-the-fly.
Trilliant’s UnitySuite™ software is a core component of the Trilliant Platform that provides scalable management of multiple smart grid communications technologies with unified business process integration to other utility systems. UnitySuite is built on open standards and is supported by the majority of the leading utility system software packages. With Unity Suite software as the manager of a smart grid network, utilities can use a common infrastructure to enable applications across Smart Distribution, Smart Metering, and Smart Consumer applications.
The Trilliant UnitySuite Software enables your utilities to operate and control all your Smart Grid communications – meters, in-home devices, distribution devices – in a single, unified dashboard. Capable of supporting millions of endpoints across multiple device vendors, types, models, firmware versions, protocols, and communications methods, UnitySuite provides a secure management platform that acts as a control plane for all device interactions.
Together with other components of the powerful Trilliant Communications Platform, the UnitySuite Software enables powerful smart grid communications capabilities:
Metering Management System (MMS),which enables flexible, reliable and efficient meter data acquisition and processing for Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI).
Consumer Engagement Management System (CEMS), which provides secure and scalable tools to implement consumer-facing demand response and energy efficiency programs.
Communications Device Management System (CDMS), which securely manages communications for millions of devices, with powerful connection and routing information, security, device reports, and communication protocol library.
Network Element Management System (NEMS), which cost effectively and securely manages and operates field networks to ensure optimal functioning, with comprehensive coverage, network monitoring, and alerts.
UnitySuite Enterprise Software Platform, which provides a set of shared services to MMS, CEMS, CDMS, and NEMS. The Enterprise Platform contains a highly scalable task execution and integration engine that is implemented to enable powerful smart grid communications solutions.
The Trilliant UnitySuite Software offers:
- The industry’s most proven meter- and device-agnostic capabilities
- Award-winning integration capabilities, including scheduled meter read export, on-demand operations, and real-time alarms
- Highest throughput
- Greatest dedication to standards for interoperability and security
- Longest field operating history
- End-to-end solution that covers the full range of smart grid endpoints including home area devices, meters, and wide area network-based devices and systems
The powerful UnitySuite Head-End Software performs device management, data acquisition and communication management. It encompasses all the key requirements your utility needs to for Smart Metering, Smart Distribution, and Smart Consumer communication needs.
Benefits of Trilliant UnitySuite Software:
- Scalable –With multi-threaded operations, multi-level server clustering and built-in redundancy and disaster recovery, UnitySuite supports larger and increasing amount of device volumes and data demand.
- Secure – With user authentication, role-based access control and integration with PKI, HSM or other security mechanisms, UnitySuite protects against unauthorized device access and assures that customer information is never compromised.
- Open – With dozens of interface formats such as web services, FTP, JMS, CMEP, Multi-speak, CIM, and others, UnitySuite easily integrates with 3rd party applications while supporting multiple communications and device vendors.
- Flexible and Future Proof – UnitySuite is a multi-technology solutions that is scalable across mesh, cellular and other communications technologies. With on-site or cloud deployment, the UnitySuite integrates beautifully with Trilliant and other 3rd party devices. It also adapts to changing business requirements and supports evolving industry standards.
Only Trilliant brings the broad and deep domain expertise required to build an end-to-end, optimized software solution made possible through a highly efficient and extensible data model, with unique batch processing and resource optimizing algorithms. Leveraging best practices in usability and human factors visual design, the UnitySuite User Interface (UI) layer delivers a highly successful environment that provides you with a structured, intuitive, quick and powerful user experience.
See more Smart Grid Network Products from Trilliant.
- Award-winning Integration
- Metering Management System
- Consumer Engagement Management System
- Communication Device Management System
- Network Element Management System
To ensure ultimate success and realize the full benefits of deployments, Smart Grid solutions must interoperate reliably in a utility IT environment. Many utilities’ systems – such as Meter Data Management, Outage Management, Distribution Automation, Enterprise Resource Planning, Customer Information System and Asset Management – will interact seamlessly with UnitySuite Software and the Trilliant Communications Platform.
That’s because the Trilliant’s UnitySuite Software provides the ability to customize seamless integration with a utility’s enterprise application. The UnitySuite Software Platform’s SOAP-based APIs facilitate integration with existing applications and evolving Smart Grid communications network to provide utilities with a solution customized to meet their specific requirements. Furthermore, Trilliant’s superior integration capabilities have earned industry-wide recognition, including the eMeter Technology Integration Award.
The Trilliant UnitySuite includes built-in features to support reliable, low total cost of ownership implementations:
- SOA Architecture
- Expedite roll-out of new applications
- Lower maintenance cost
- SOA WS, SOAP, WSDL, XSD
- Full Enterprise Services Bus Capability
- Pre-integrated IBM Websphere
- Simplified integration – less custom development – more flexible
- Support for Smart Grid solution standards developed by the EPRI, OpenAMI, and UtilityAMI Data and Design Standards bodies
- IEC, NIST, CIM, SEP
- Open application platform
- Linux or Windows operating system
- Oracle database
- Many Standard interfaces including MDM and billing interfaces, Web services, XML/SOAP, CSV, EDI, CMEP, MultiSpeak, Itron IEE/MV-90/HHF
UnitySuite’s seamless and easy integration capabilities enable:
- Scheduled Meter Read Export
- flexible file format for exchange of scheduled meter read information
- subscription based export ensures profile blocks are sent once
- de-duplication of data
- On Demand Operations
- all application functions
- web services are implemented using SOAP 1.2 and WDSL 2.0
- web services are tested to be compliant with the Web Services Interoperability Organization (WS-I)
- support for multiple message transports
- MultiSpeak 4.1 and CIM compliant interfaces
- Real Time Alarms
- propagation of real time meter and network alarms
Metering Management System (MMS)
The Metering Management System (MMS) manages meter data and meter operations to enable Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI). Compared to other meter data and operations systems out there, MMS has greater flexibility for operating system platforms, database selection, data acquisition approaches, look and feel, reporting, and alarm capabilities.
MMS benefits from Trilliant’s legacy and deep expertise of over twenty years of successful Smart Grid deployments. This experience, combined with the latest in enterprise architecture and technology platforms, results in a powerful capability that excels in supporting some of the largest and most successful advanced metering deployments globally.
Moreover, MMS enables multiple smart metering process management such as change of supplier/tenant, the ability to opt in/opt out, on-demand meter reads, real-time events, clock synchronizations and other meter-specific operations such as prepay and remote connect/disconnect.
Designed for High Performance
MMS is proven in supporting millions of devices in a single deployment. Overall, Trilliant has more AMI meters communicating every day through MMS than any other single Head-End system. With Trilliant’s extensive, field proven deployment experience, by working with us, you can be confident that your system will scale to meet both your current and future Smart Grid needs.
MMS is designed from the ground up for high performance:
- Fully supports clustered application and database environments
- Organizes all communications and operations activities as separate tasks that can be dynamically allocated to specified resources as they become available
- Flexibly support additional application server resources that can be incrementally added as performance and scale requirements evolve over time
Used in conjunction with the rest of Trilliant Communications Platform, the MMS superior capabilities meet the stringent Service Level requirements of utilities and regulators. Purpose-built for the utility industry, MMS delivers the reliability fundamental for any AMI Head-End system, which include the following capabilities:
- Data Caching at every level in the system
- Two modes of data acquisition, a regularly scheduled push mode from meters and an On- Demand ‘Pull Mode’ for exceptional cases
- Total Failover Support – no single point of failure will result in data loss
Recognizing that a significant portion of the total cost of ownership for an AMI network is the ongoing cost of resources required to support day to day operations and based on years of experience working with leading utilities in globally, Trilliant has incorporated many features to efficiently manage daily AMI operations:
- Dashboard system monitoring capability for quick assessment of metering process status
- Drill down capability for detailed logs that facilitates troubleshooting efforts
- Flexible grouping algorithms that enable efficient management of system functions such as device configuration changes, firmware upgrades, data acquisition, and export tasks
Flexible and Customizable
MMS offers various levels of configuration flexibility that allows you to meet your unique needs:
- Support integration with eMeter, Itron MDM, OSISoft, Ecologic Analytics, Oracle MDMs
- Support multiple metering protocols: ANSI c12.22, DLMS/COSEM, SEP 1.1, Landis & Gyr
- Support multi vendors and meter types: Landis & Gyr, GE, Itron, Elster, Iskra, ELO; ANSI and IEC meters; Electric and Gas meters
- Able to export data in multiple formats: CMEP, MultiSpeak, CIM, others
- Enables you to choose your own database: Oracle, Sybase, Postgress, MySQL, and MS SQL
- Enables you to change look and feel: MMS embeds transparently into your current web design
- Lets you run on your preferred OS: Windows 2000, Windows XP and 2003
- Create reports that fits your needs: several formats available including PDF, HTML, and CSV
Consumer Engagement Management System (CEMS)
The Smart Grid represents new opportunities for utilities to engage their customers in various value-added services such as dynamic pricing, demand response, direct load control, and energy efficiency programs. To manage a variety of programs that communicate with in-home devices, utilities need an enterprise-grade software solution. The Consumer Engagement Management System (CEMS) is a scalable and proven solution that provides a full complement of tools and capabilities required by utilities to implement consumer-facing demand response and consumer energy efficiency programs.
Recognizing the important of adhering to standards, CEMS supports several industry protocols such as Zigbee SEP 1.1, DCI (based on Zigbee 1.0), and SecureMesh. Moreover, it also supports multiple devices such as in-home displays, programmable thermostats, and load control switches from multiple vendors.
CEMS’ web interface provides an easy-to-use graphical tool to create, verify, and approve new rate plans including time-of-use (TOU) and critical peak pricing (CPP) events. It leverages the UnitySuite Enterprise Software Platform to manage customer enrollment in individual programs and automatically keep in-home devices up-to-date with appropriate rate plans.
CEMS’s web interface provides tools to create direct load control programs, manage customer enrollment, and dispatch emergency and non-emergency curtailment events. It supports both load control switches and thermostats.
CEMS provides messaging services to enable real-time communications with consumers. It also provides multiple communications paths to provide text-based information, including messaging to in-home displays, thermostats, and email.
Utilities need to provide their customers with control of the customers’ energy savings in order to increase the adoption rates of demand response and energy efficiency programs. To enable this, CEMS provides opt-out features for dynamic pricing and direct load control curtailment events, as well as the capability to monitor program participation. It supports consumer-configured price response behavior, letting customers control their level of participation in any given program.
Monitoring and Reporting
CEMS provides real-time monitoring of two-way communication to in-home devices, enabling the operator to track CPP and curtailment tasks as they occur. It also leverages reporting features to provide historical device performance data and facilitate program management.
CEMS provides the most flexibility in the implementation of demand response or energy efficiency programs. It enables broad communication and integration capabilities with utility partners to facilitate a variety of business models. Partners such as load aggregator service providers and other energy service providers can access its functions through the advanced permission control features included in UnitySuite Enterprise Software Platform. Technology partners can also leverage APIs to customize CEMS to create tailored demand response solutions.
Communication Device Management System (CDMS)
Utility smart grid communications systems rival telecom systems for their scale and complexity, and by leveraging proven platforms utilities can focus on what they do best: deliver clean, reliable, affordable energy. Trilliant’s Communications Device Management System (CDMS) gives utilities the peace of mind to know they can effectively manage the disparate, large-scale communications networks deployed as part of the smart grid.
Unified Device Management
The CDMS integrates all of the functions necessary to manage communications devices – including security management, device management, data acquisition, firmware downloads, and communications flow management – into a single software system. All components of the Trilliant platform are managed by the CDMS – optimized to ensure low operational costs for ongoing system operation.
The CDMS uses Trilliant’s Dynamic Data eXchange (DDX) technology, which combines distributed intelligence and batch processing, to provide scalable performance with minimal network infrastructure. This approach ensures even the communications systems can scale for the largest global utilities with low-cost infrastructure requirements.
The CDMS manages all aspects of security for the Trilliant communications platform, including:
- Role-Based Access Control
- ANSI C12.22 EAX compliant security model
- Authentication and encryption of messages using AES-128 encrypted message
- Key storage in a separate database
- Key Management
- Management of Security credentials using PKI infrastructure
- Integration with 3rd party HSM for key management
- Integration with 3rd party certificate management
Flexible and customizable
The CDMS is built on a flexible platform to ensure it can meet utility-specific needs. The platform includes:
- Flexible reporting on firmware upgrades, device information (serial number, hardware version, firmware version, etc), and device events such as outages and alarms
- Supporting a wide variety of communications protocols, including IP, ANSI c12.19, SMS, Optical Probe
- Modular architecture to support integration of new devices and communications technologies over time
- Full redundancy and disaster recovery approaches built in
Network Element Management System (NEMS)
The UnitySuite Network Management System (NEMS) provides network and element management capabilities tailored specifically to work seamlessly with the Trilliant Communications platform. It offers an SNMP standards-based network and element management capabilities in monitoring and control of all Smart Grid devices. The UnitySuite NEMS has been proven to manage large-scale deployments of millions of Smart Grid devices around the world.
UnitySuite NEMS improves network visibility and performance by building and maintaining constant knowledge about physical and logical network connectivity. Utility operators can connect and manage Trilliant-enabled devices (e.g., meters, collectors, in-home devices) with an online device status view of the entire Smart Grid network. The NEMS software automates business, operations, and networking rules (or policies), enabling cost-efficient, centralized management of intelligent Smart Grid network devices. NEMS is versatile, easy to deploy and has the power and depth to support full-scale Smart Grid deployments of millions of end devices.
The UnitySuite NEMS delivers a robust fault management system with real-time alarm and event reporting. A color-coding system visually identifies critical, major, minor and informational alarms, and enables easy methods of handling automatic notifications. With UnitySuite NEMS, utilities have a systematic process for problem detection and rapid issue resolution. The UnitySuite NEMS reporting system provides detailed event logging and includes extensive filtering capabilities to sort and prioritize data.
UnitySuite NEMS provides an efficient, centralized method of managing device configuration, which supports over-the-air automatic provisioning and configuration of Smart Grid devices throughout the network. Service profiles may be defined and stored that specify a range of networking, security, and quality of service (QoS) parameters. UnitySuite NEMS also provides backup and restore capabilities for device configuration from the embedded database.
UnitySuite NEMS provides advanced topology and graphical performance monitoring capabilities, enhanced by integration with Google Earth mapping services. Administrators are able to collect data and generate reports for entire networks, providing essential scalability for large Smart Grid deployments. Using Google Earth Pro, GPS coordinates for each Smart Grid device are plotted instantly to create dynamic network diagrams. As the network evolves and grows, UnitySuite NEMS scales with the deployment, automatically providing real-time, updated diagrams that enhance the accuracy and timeliness of the network monitoring process.
Moreover, the UnitySuite NEMS supports performance thresholds that can be configured as needed. When a threshold is exceeded and classified into different levels, the system notifies through an alarm, enabling easy communication and management.
The UnitySuite NEMS enable utility operators to have full control over user management activities, including the creation of user accounts and user groups, and functional access permissions at all levels. The NEMS also allows for centralized control of user authorization throughout the entire network, including the prevention of rogue association with the wireless network.